High Tide Activities at Laguna Shores Resort in Rocky Point, Mexico
I would hazard a guess and say the biggest attraction of Puerto Peñasco, Mexico is the Sea of Cortez. People flock to the pristine beaches in and around Rocky Point for sunning, relaxing as well as a variety of fun and exciting water activities. And condos and homes on the beach are, by far, the most sought-after property in Rocky Point. It is well known that Puerto Peñasco has one of the highest tide fluctuations in the world (I believe we are no. 3) and the tide comes in and recedes at least two times a day. Many plan their vacations and activities around high tide – when the waves are splashing high on the shore and you can swim almost all day. There are times when the tide is almost even, meaning the difference between high and low tide is only a few feet, so the water seems to stay put. At other times the tide goes to extreme highs and extreme lows. This is the best time to enjoy low tide activities (see “Low Tide Activities at Laguna Shores” on their website or Facebook page). High tide activities are plentiful: here’s a list of high tide activities we enjoy at Laguna Shores Resort in Rocky Point, Mexico:
High Tide Activities at Laguna Shores Resort
- Beachcombing – high and extreme high tide tends to churn up the water and bring all kinds of new shells to the high tide line. Cruise the beach at the peak of high tide and when it starts to recede, it will leave even more treasures along various tide lines.
If you want to wade across the estuary you may be able to reach barnacle isle at the far end of Laguna Shores Resort. Be careful though as the water comes in fast and you don’t want to be swept away. You can usually get around the rocky point at the other end of the beach in front of Laguna Shores though at extreme high tide the water splashes right up against the sand cliffs. You don’t want to get caught so be sure to consult the tide chart and proceed with caution.
Here are some more high tide activities you can enjoy at Laguna Shores Resort – all in one location. No other master planned community in Rocky Point can claim this. Don’t believe me? Check it out for yourself. Many of these activities can be enjoyed at low tide as well.
High or low tide activities:
• Kayak through the lush estuary and enjoy the scenery or go birding
• Kayak out into the Sea of Cortez and spot dolphins and possibly sea lions
• Swimming – sun on the built in pool lounges. There is no better view than looking out over the sandy beach and Sea of Cortez from the edge of the pool.
• Pool Games such as Polo
• Palapa Pool Bar – enjoy a beverage and some tunes
• Sunning in the Pool or chaise lounges or on the beach cabana beds
• Jet-Skiing or Kite Surfing or Sailing if you have your own equipment or rent from town
• Beach Volleyball
• Miniature Golf
• Massage, manicure and pedicures at the Laguna Shores Spa
• Read a great book or listen to one on your iPod
• Frisbee Golf
• Sandbag Toss
• Exercise on the treadmills or with weights in the gym
• Grab a bike and go for a ride around the property or down the beach or Coastal Hwy. (bikes are offered to renters and owners at no charge)
• Birding in the Estuary (borrow a field guide from Laguna Shores Lending Library and a pair of binoculars and set out to see how many different birds you can identify)
• Take in a movie or borrow a book – Laguna Shores has free rentals (Peñasco also has a 6-theater cinema downtown if you want to see the latest blockbusters)
• Billiards, foosball, ping-pong as well as many board games in the Game Room
• Enjoy a great meal at Mikky’s Beach Club Restaurant open daily from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
• Take a self-guided tour of Laguna Shores Resort or grab a salesman and see some of the luxurious 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom condos that are available for fractional shares and sale.
If you want to spend the day, or a few hours away from the Resort, here are more ideas:
• Tour the Pinacate Visitor’s Center and/or the volcanic craters
• Walk around Old Port, grab a shrimp taco or cocktail and do some shopping (same goes for “Rodeo Drive” sans the shrimp – but great souvenirs and stuff you just can’t live without!)
• Fish, dive, parasail, or take a banana boat ride or go up in the ultra-lite plane
• Enjoy a few hours out at sea on a refreshing Sunset cruise (you’re sure to see dolphins)
• Visit a local Mercado (market) and pick up some avocados (really cheap), tomatoes, cilantro, onions, tomatoes and your own salsa and guacamole when you get back to your condo at Laguna Shores.
• Stop by the fish market and grab some “big blues” (shrimp) then head back to your condo to enjoy sunset and an ice cold beverage with your fresh shrimp and freshly handmade salsa and guacamole: a truly perfect Mexican evening.
• Day trip it to close cities like Caborca, Desemboque, Puerto Lobos and small towns in-between.
• Take a tour of Rocky Point and visit CEDO and see the fin whale skeleton and shop for great souvenirs in their gift shop. Visit the many galleries and stores around town for one-of-a-kind items and stop at one of the many restaurants and grab a bite to eat or try your luck at the casino inside the Black Dog.
You never have to look very far for something to do while you’re at Laguna Shores Resort, but if you want to go into town we are only a 10- to 15-minute drive to the heart of the city. Labor Day Weekend will be a great weekend to enjoy both high and low tide activities as we are moving into a full moon and have excellent high and low tides leaving plenty of time in-between to enjoy the beach, the isles, the estuary and everything in-between. Come and enjoy Laguna Shores Oceanfront Resort and discover “The Laguna Shores Advantage”. To book a home or condo, please call them at 1-800-513-1426 or visit their website at www.lagunashoresresorts.com. They have 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom condos available on the beach and off the beach as well as homes. Check out their latest “Fish and Stay” Special on their Facebook Page or their website. “Like” them on Facebook and get the details on a super inexpensive fish and stay trip to Rocky Point, Mexico and Laguna Shores Resort. This offer will only last a few more days so don’t delay and check back often for more specials.